Wednesday 25 June 2014

Initial reflections on the seminar

I have only one thing to say right now: the culture in schools in the UK needs to change to reflect a more collaborative, co-productive environment which sees students and teachers working together to improve learning. Power should be shared across the board in order to experiment with what works and what doesn't. We need to take risks and not be afraid of making mistakes now and then. Mistakes are where you learn; this needs to be more readily accepted.

I'm very excited about trying to find a way to establish this sort of culture in my school, but I am aware that it will be a hard slog. I don't even have a position of influence at the minute, to try to bring about such a change. However, I am hoping that people will listen to me, and I'll certainly start to raise my voice on the issue more with 'the powers that be'. 

Using student voice needs to be part of embedded practice. This idea has been echoed many times throughout the seminar, and I couldn't agree more.

It's all about starting tiny fires and hoping that they catch on...

I will try to say more on this later, but this is the main issue that has come up for me at this seminar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment